Thursday, November 6, 2014

GIVE THANKS PILLOW ~ DIY

Fall is a wonderful time of the year and with the weather cooling it is a great time to work on a few projects indoors. I recently worked on a fall diy pillow. I showed it to you in my fall home tour .

 I love the Pottery Barn gather pillow, so decided to make my own pillow and change it just a bit using the words give thanks.  Today I'll  show you how I made it and then you can make one for yourself if you'd like.


The first thing you will need is fabric.  I used left over drop cloth fabric for this project, but duck canvas or cotton fabric would work also.

Here's the items I used for creating this pillow.
- fabric
- scissors
- thread
- paint pen in your choice of color
- carbon paper
- cardboard
- tape
- paper with your choice of a word or words, printed off in the font of your choice



I began by cutting the fabric - two pieces  to 13" X 25".  I wanted my pillow to end up measuring 12" X 24", so I added a seam allowance of 1/2".



I didn't want my paint to bleed onto my table, so I placed the fabric on top of a piece of cardboard.  I then taped the fabric to the cardboard to keep it from shifting while I was painting.  Next came placing my words on the fabric.  First I added the sheet of carbon paper and then my printed words on top of it.  I also taped these so they would not move.  Taking a pencil, I traced around the lettering.



Once I had the letters outlined, I took my black paint pen and traced over the carbon paper outline.  The next step was to simply fill in the lettering using the paint pen.  After allowing the paint to dry, I placed the front and back of the pillow together (right sides facing each-other).  I then sewed around the pillow, leaving a small opening to insert pillow batting.  Once the batting was in the pillow, I simply stitched the opening shut.  This made for a very easy pillow to sew.  It's one that even a novice sewer can make.

I told you I had a little secret about this pillow in my fall tour of home post.  My secret is that I made this a dual purpose pillow.  On one side it reads give thanks ....


and on the other side .... silent night !!!  This way I can use it for two holiday seasons!





For now, I placed it in the basket with my soft blankets and throws.




Total cost for making this pillow was around three dollars.   The paint pen cost  $2 and pillow batting $2.49,  but I had a little over a half bag left ... just enough for another project.


Have you made any projects lately?  I have a few more in progress that I hope to share with you soon.
Have a great day!

I'm linking this post to - Inspire Me Please blog hop @ Love of Family and Home


                                      ***Joy***

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails