Friday, December 20, 2013

OH HOLY NIGHT CHRISTMAS CANVAS ~ twinkling stars

In my recent Christmas Home Tour, you may have noticed several projects that I created ~ DIY.  One of these projects can be seen as soon as you come in our front door ~ The Oh Holy Night Canvas.





I saw the original idea for this canvas over at Holly Mathis Interiors {created by Lindsay Letters}, but then I saw what  Jen @ Clean and Scentsible  did with it and was inspired to make my own.

I did a few things different than Jen did.  Here's what I did.


Materials for this project:


one canvas 24 X 30
black acrylic paint
white paint pen
foam paint brush
battery operated twinkly lights
masking tape
ice pick or sharp object to punch holes with

I already had a canvas in the house (new from second had store for .49 cents)
The first thing I did was to give the canvas two coats of paint.  I then printed out Holy Night using my cricut machine.

Using a pencil, I lightly wrote out my words on the canvas freehand (except for Holy Night).  I positioned Holy Night down on the canvas and wrote the words around it.  I wanted the Holy Night to stand out a little more than the other words.  I glued the Holy Night in place on the canvas.

Once I had all the pencil marks on the canvas, I took the white paint pen and wrote out my words.  It's not perfect, but my husband said it adds to the look.

Now for the fun part, adding the twinkling lights.  I planned where I wanted my lights placed.  (Jen used an eyelet setter, but I didn't have one.) I used an ice pick to poke my holes for the lights, being careful not to rip the canvas to far.  I place my lights in the holes as I went, so I could see how they would look as I went. 

You can see the little lights coming out of each poked hole.


 I used masking tape to secure them in place as I went as well.  The back of the canvas looks messy, but nobody sees that anyway....ha..ha!



My lights have the option of being twinkly or solid light.  I like the twinkly lights because it looks like little stars, but for the photos I used the solid lights so you could see them.



This was a very inexpensive project for me to make, since I used what I had in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails