Tuesday, October 22, 2013

DIY BURLAP PUMPKIN (EASY - NO SEWING REQUIRED)

 I've been on a little decorating binge using burlap.  I used burlap for the table decor at the rehearsal dinner for our son and daughter-in-law and have some leftover burlap. I showed you how to make a burlap table runner a few months ago.  (I know I'm a little late but I do plan to share with you soon the rehearsal dinner decor.)

Because I'm in the fall mood, I thought it would be fun to try and make a burlap pumpkin.  I've seen a few you can buy but they tend to be a little costly.  I'd like to show you my cheaper and easy burlap pumpkin I made.


Below is the list of items I used to make this burlap pumpkin.



1. Dollar Store foam pumpkin
2. Burlap
2. A knife
3. Hot glue
4. Elmer's glue
5. Faux leaves
6. Spray paint

If you would like to make one of these pumpkins for your self, you can follow along with the instructions how I made mine.

The first thing I did was to purchase my Dollar Store pumpkin.



The pumpkin is a very bright orange and I knew it would shine through the burlap cloth.  The easiest fix was to give it a coat of spray paint.


I then went to my stack of left over burlap and cut a strip of fabric a few inches taller than the pumpkin and about five to six inches wider than the circumference of the pumpkin.  You need enough fabric on the top to tuck into the stem area and fold under on the bottom.  Adding enough extra fabric in the circumference for  tucking.


Now it was time to take the fabric and begin to wrap it around the pumpkin, centering it on the pumpkin.
The next step was to take a table knife and begin tucking the burlap into the foam pumpkin.  I did this at each indentation on the pumpkin.



I continued to tuck the burlap all the way around the pumpkin, making sure to try and get an even depth in each tuck.


The next step was to make tucks at the top and bottom of the pumpkin using hot glue to hold them in place.


It was now time for adding the embellishments.  I wanted to add a a curly vine like you see on real pumpkins.  I came up with the idea to use hemp twine that I had in the house.  I created it by taking a piece of the twine and some Elmer's glue.  I simply put some glue on a sheet of wax paper, using my fingers to guide it into the glue, making for an even coat of glue on the twine.  I then wrapped it around a pencil.  I only let it dry long enough to keep its shape.  I didn't want it to dry totally and stick to the pencil.


After removing the twine from the pencil, I allowed it to dry completely on a sheet of wax paper.  Once completely dry, I glued it to the top of the pumpkin along with a few silk leaves.




Using what I had on hand in my home, the only cost to make this cute little burlap
 pumpkin was only a dollar!





Have a great fall day!
                                                                                                   Joy

I'm linking this post to -
DIY Showoff Party
Fine Craft Guide Linky Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails