Wednesday, September 28, 2011

DIY POTTERY BARN INSPIRED PLACE CARD HOLDER

I love the change of the seasons and along with it the arrival of new fall catalogs.  I just received the new Pottery Barn fall magazine in my mail box; and it has my creative juices flowing.

I spotted these cute little rustic bronze finished pumpkin place card holders. Here's the link to see these cuties over at Pottery Barn (I'm not being reimbursed in any way by PB for this but wanted to share what I saw).  They are made of cast aluminum, and come with a price tag of $26 for a set of 4.  We'll be having 9 - 10 guests for thanksgiving dinner, so I'd need to buy 3 sets = $78!

That price being a little rich for this thrifty gal, I came up with my own version using dollar store items and paint that I already had around the house.  Here's what I did....

1. Bought 2 bags of  small pumpkins/gourds



2. Spray paint - Rust-Oleum Metallic



3. Applied spray paint to pumpkins and gourds.


4. The pumpkins didn't look quite bronze enough after the metallic paint was applied, so I added gold glitter paint that I had bought at a garage sale this summer for 10 cents!


5. Unlike the Pottery Barn pumpkins that are made from cast aluminum, the dollar store pumpkins are made from Styrofoam.  This made it very easy to make a cut with an exact o knife, and insert the place card into the slot.


Here's what they look like in a place setting.


What do you think?  Is it a good PB knock off?
My total cost = $2 for a set of 10!




Linking this post to...
Centsational Girl Fall Linky Party

3 comments:

  1. Bravo Joy!! I saw these at Pottery Barn the other day, thought they were wonderful, also did not spend the money on them though!

    I have hooked up with Julia's Party as well!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative! I love PB knock offs. I might just have to try it...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails